Characteristics of Abusers
- 80% were abused as children or saw their mothers abused.
- Blame partners for their abusive behaviour.
- Place unrealistic expectations on partners in order to feel good about themselves.
- Are jealous and possessive of partners.
- Tend not to trust other people, and therefore tend not to share inner world with others.
- Have limited or no social network; partner is closest person they know.
- Highly emotionally dependent on partner; subject to depression known only to family.
- Tend to express all negative feelings as anger.
- Have low self-esteem.
- Get needs met by control, such as violence and threats.
- May threaten suicide if partner leaves.
- Represented across all socioeconomic, educational, racial, age and ethnic groups.
- Can be very pleasant outside of the home and very unkind at home.
- Frequently demanding and aggressive in sexual behaviour.
- Hold very traditional, stereotypical views of male-female roles and relationships.
- Lack sympathy for partner’s physical and emotional pain.
- Tend to minimize and deny the abuse.
Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress